Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Summoned

Yesterday, I got to spend the morning on jury duty.

It seems like a lot of people I know have recently gotten called to jury duty. It actually wasn't a bad way to spend the morning.

The first hour was spent just reading stuff for work in the central jury room, while I was waiting for my name to be called. Then I was picked to be in a group of 25 people that would appear before the judge and attorneys - they eventually chose six.

It was a very interesting process. We got to listen to very generic sides of a DWI case - the details would not be introduced until the trial actually started after the jury was selected. Both sides were trying to get you to voice your opinion on whether or not you agreed that driving after having one drink was acceptable and what you thought the legal definition of intoxication should be.

I was released at 1:00 and actually went back to work, but I really enjoyed getting to see the jury system in action. It really is an amazing process to choose a 'jury of your peers.'

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am glad that you had a pleasant experience and got to see some of the process!

Anonymous said...

just catching up...it was great to see you at RE! I love the name Kenna. What colors are you using in the nursery? You look great!