Wednesday, May 21, 2008

05/21/04

I love looking back on memories in my relationship with my husband. I think it is fun to think back about those special days, and I love the fact that we are continuing to make more memories together (Miss K's birthday for example).

Four years ago today, Daniel proposed. I love this story and I did have it written down somewhere but that webpage no longer exists so I thought I would repost about our fun evening so I would have a written memory. This may be too many details for some of you, but, oh well!

I was in PA school and was finishing up one of the worst (hardest) rotations. I had been in Temple at Scott & White Hospital for 6 weeks, living in an old motel (my friend Kim and I were the only two in the whole building), and I was more than ready to be home. Daniel planned a special date for the two of us for the day I took the final exam for that rotation so that we could celebrate the fact that I was back home. Our one year dating anniversary was going to be about ten days later so we decided to throw that into the mix as well.

I just KNEW (or at least I hoped) that he was going to propose. We had talked, for a while, about getting married and I knew that we were going to wait until I graduated but I thought that he might propose sometime soon so that we could start planning.

I took my final exam that morning and met Daniel at my apartment to spend the afternoon. I had stayed up most of the night studying so I was more than ready for a nap. I tried to get Dan to take one too but he said he just had too much energy (nervous energy??) to lay down so he just watched tv while I slept.

We had planned to go eat at Antares, the restaurant in Reunion tower, and then go to the symphony. Daniel was very agitated with all the traffic and kept talking about how long it was taking us to get there - which is very unlike him. Now I know that he was just worried about "the question."

We had a great dinner and I even had a chocolate replica of the tower for dessert - it was great! I kept waiting and waiting for him to ask the question while we were eating...but he didn't.

After dinner, we walked around the observation deck and looked out over the city - very pretty. I kept waiting and waiting for him to ask the question while we were walking...but he didn't.

We left Reunion tower and drove downtown to the Meyerson to go to the symphony. We had amazing seats and it was a great performance. It took us a little longer to find a parking spot than we were expecting so we walked in just a little late. When we got to where we were going to sit, Daniel said that he had to go back to the car to make a phone call about a moving job he was helping with the next morning. I told him he could use my phone, he told me that he did not know the number...I said he could call information, he said he wasn't sure if the number was listed and what town the guy officially lived in...I suggested waiting until after the concert, but he said that might be too late since Jeb has twins....so I went in and sat down and was somewhat frustrated by the fact that I was sitting by myself. :) Dan wasn't gone very long and soon we were enjoying the wonderful music.

At intermission, we walked around inside the beautiful building. I kept waiting and waiting for him to ask me the question...but he didn't.

The second half of the performance was just as good as the beginning. I can't remember right now exactly who was performing, but I know that I have the playbill in my memory box. When the symphony was over and we were walking out and enjoying the lovely evening. I remember thinking that, we had had an amazing, fun evening...even if Daniel had not proposed. Maybe that just meant we would have another big date soon. :)

When we got back to the jeep, the car would not start. Daniel tried and tried to turn the ignition, but nothing was happening. He got out and popped the hood and got me to try to turn the key - and still nothing happened. He finally said that he had found the problem and needed me to come help. I was sitting there in my nice dress and heels and could not figure out what I would be able to do that would be beneficial - at least without getting dirty.

When I walked around to the front of the car, Dan was pulling a ring box out from under the hood. He got down on one knee and then he finally asked the question! I will never forget what he said. "Heather, I love you more than I ever thought possible and there is no one else I would rather have as my wife. Heather Hooten, will you marry me?" Of course, I started crying and was trying to give him a hug. He was trying to put the ring on my finger and I just wanted him to stand up so I could kiss him! There was still another car in the parking lot and they started honking their horn and flashing their lights.

We got back in the car and then Daniel remembered that the car was not going to start so he had to get out and fix it. He had unplugged the fuel pump relay and had to put it all back together before we could leave. We immediately started calling all our families and friends to spread the good news. Dan and his brother Jon had spent the afternoon trying to find something that would disable the car but could be fixed easily.

I love the fact that I was proposed to in the parking lot in front of the Meyerson with a disabled car...only Daniel would come up with something like that!! What a special, special night.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What a sweet story...you will be glad you wrote it down somewhere! Maybe I should do the same this weekend because on May 24, 6 years ago, Casey proposed to me.

Supermom-In-Training said...

Ahh...yes, the old car is disabled trick! I remember hearing about this as it was happening from Jon and I remember thinking - Boy, this might backfire and they might not be able to get the car working again! But I'm so glad that you guys have such a memorable engagement story! :)

Lynn Leaming said...

Thanks for sharing your story. It is always interesting to hear what guys come up with to suprise their girls. This was sweet!