Friday, March 30, 2007

Trusting God

I had the most interesting conversation with a patient this week that has really made me think. I have come back to what he said several times since then.

Let me describe this man to you...He was sitting in the room with his Harley-Davidson motorcycle jacket draped over the chair, complete with several motorcycle patches and pins. I have seen this patient several times before and have always had a good relationship. We hadn't talked about anything really personal...most people don't view their doctor's office as a place to reveal too much information about their spiritual life.

This 50-55 year old man was scheduled for a routine cholesterol check...something that is generally straightforward and easy...at least my part is!! :) When I walked in the room, he was finishing up the part of the book he was reading and putting it away. I usually ask people what they are reading (I am always up for a new good author) and he was no exception.

I can't remember the exact title of the book but it had something to do with God's unaswered prayers. When I commented on the title, he pulled another book out of his bag. It had something to do with spiritually transmitted diseases....catchy, huh?

I don't think that I have ever told this patient that I am a Christian...like I said, most people don't see our office as that 'type of place.' We talked about the two books he was reading for a little while and then quickly moved on to more "weighty" matters. (just put all that book stuff in there in case you knew the correct titles, or had read them, and to let you know how we got all the way to this topic from a cholesterol check)

I was amazed at his level of commitment to what he believes God is asking him to do. He has worked for the same company for 21 years but has not ever truly enjoyed it. He said that he has always been interested in finding the place to be for his own ministry. He has been involved in a Christian motorcycle group and sings at his church, but wants to do more...His wife is a stay-at-home mom but his kids are older now and married. He stated that he was leaving our office to go quit his job and give himself the time and focus to hear what God is asking him to do.

He told me that he and his wife have been praying about this for several weeks.

They do not have a savings account that will support them...they are trusting God...

His wife does not have a job that will carry the financial load...they are trusting God...

She is having surgery next week and will be unable to "help out" until she has had several weeks to heal...they are trusting God...

He doesn't even know what he is going to do for a ministry, much less an income...they are trusting God...

So much more was said during this conversation, by us both, and I continue to think about that as well, but, more than anything I was impressed by his complete devotion to his service.

How many times in the Bible does God tell us to give our all and he will provide?

I am not suggesting that we all quit our jobs, just to prove that we believe God is there to catch us, but I hope that I would do the same thing if God asked...what an amazing testimony of faith. If nothing else, his actions have definitely impacted me. What do you think?

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

Goodness that is a tough one. If it truly is the will of God it will be okay. Of course it takes a great amount of faith to trust that it is God's will. I will be praying for this man and the decision he just made.

Anonymous said...

I too am encouraged to see others responding to God in faith. However, since you asked, this gentleman’s story of trust got me thinking about the concept of blind faith vs. directed faith. Just from what I read, it seems as though he was planning on making some major life changes without much of an idea as to what God really wanted him to do. I think sometimes the greatest trust is evidenced by our willingness to stay where we are until we receive clearer direction. Do you know what I mean?

That being said, I understand how you were impacted. May we all choose to respond in faith to however God desires to use us no matter the sacrifices involved! "For we walk by faith, not by sight" -2 Cor. 5:7

Heather said...

Leslie, I think you read my mind!! I was impacted by his faith, but I agree that sometimes we do need to wait for clearer direction...