Tuesday, April 24, 2007

I am so blessed....

I am not sure that this post is going to make much sense....I just wanted to write some things I have been thinking in the last hour....I wasn't going to actually post it, but....

I am an extremely blessed person. I grew up in a loving home; I was able to attend a 4 year (okay so maybe I took 5) college and then a graduate program to become a PA; my parents did everything they could to make sure I was able to attend school without having to work full time as well; I met and married the most wonderful man in the whole world - I am truly blessed to have him...he is an amazing person and so perfect for me. When I truly look at my life, I have probably had it fairly easy. Of course, there are things and times in my life that I would say were difficult...challenges that I had to overcome and things that I still struggle with on a daily basis...

And then, I start looking at random blogs on the internet. I love to click on the links to other blogs that people have on their sidebars. I think today, more than any other, I was blown away by how many blogs are devoted to keeping people updated on some family member's illness or struggle. Wow...

There was one in particular I read today that has really resonated with me. Maybe it is because the lady's name is Heather...there is nothing like hearing her talk about what is going on in her life, when she has the same name...I cried as I read her story....

I am not sure how I came upon her blog...I think it may have been a trail through several blogs, but, her words and situation have really made an impression on me. In summary, she is a 32 year old mother of three who just found out she has a brain tumor. She and her family have already had to go through all of the medical trials of her 5 year old daughter (heart transplant). I think it bothers me because I can see this situation from two different perspectives. I feel for her and her family and all that they are about to embark upon...what a journey that you pray you never have to go through...

I can also see the situation from a medical professional's point of view. I have had to tell two different people that they have a tumor that could possibly be cancerous. One lady has had surgery and chemotherapy to treat her Ovarian CA and one man has had surgery to remove the tumor growing in his brain. That is definitely not a good conversation to have with people...I hate having to be the one to shake their world. I am remembering how I thought about the conversation for days after they leave our office....

Now I have read all the thoughts that Heather and her husband have had in the days following her initial diagnosis...She has since decided to do all that she can to fight this...and I pray that she is successful. She sounds like someone who truly believes that God can do anything...

God is such an amazing God. He is so powerful and He does have the control and the ability to do anything that He desires. I think back to both of the people I have had to have the dreaded conversation with....her chance of survival at 5 years was less than 20%, but following her surgery and the first two rounds of chemo, she was considered almost cancer free. She has had to finish out a year and a half worth of chemo, but she is still doing great, and praising God for all that He has done. The man with the brain tumor had the tumor removed and was back at work within 2-3 months. He had some initial speech problems that quickly resolved, and he is now "normal"

What an awesome God that we serve!!

Sorry if this post was so random, I was just thinking about how blessed I truly am in my life to have never had to suffer through some of the hardships that other people have...but I am also thinking about how overwhelmed I am by God's love and power....

God, I pray that you continue to amaze us, and please help us keep our eyes open to see all that You do!!

2 comments:

Beck Boys said...

We are a blessed group of people. I am so thankful to God for all the things we enjoy in this life. With our health and happiness being a large part of those blessings. Thanks for the random post as it allows us to think and reflect on all the wonderful things Gos does in our lives.

Unknown said...

Thanks for those thoughts, Heather. I really enjoyed reading what you had to say. Thinking about how blessed we are is such a great exercise - I should do it more often!